Emerson

The Emerson Foundation was established in 1991 by the Trustees of the Military Chaplains Association to provide a means whereby members and friends could contribute to the Investment Fund.  The Foundation was named for Chaplain William Emerson, the first chaplain in the military, being a pastor of the fighting congregation at Concord, Massachusetts.  When the alarm was sounded by Amos Melvan that the British were afoot, Chaplain Emerson was the first to arrive.  While the Continental Congress did not take action to establish the chaplaincy until July 19, 1775, Chaplain Emerson is honored as the first chaplain in the Revolution.

The Foundation works to support our special organization for chaplains and all that we do.  Each year at our National Institute members of the Foundation are honored for their dedication to the Association and new members are inducted.  Membership can only be granted by the Trustees to those who have contributed $1,000.00 or more to the Foundation.  Each member is presented a numbered medallion and plaque, and their names are placed upon a large plaque on display at the National office.

Appreciation is expressed to all our Emerson Foundation members for their generous support that strengthens the voice of MCA today and helps to secure the future of MCA in perpetuity.

The Emerson Fund is used to support the Operating Fund of the Military Chaplains Association, but may be directed to any use the National Executive Committee feels necessary.  The monies received for the Fund will be invested by the Trustees as designated investment funds.

2013-12-17_1521